Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Getting Started

When asked to pick a topic for my public relations blog, I panicked a bit, and struggled to choose just one specific thing. I am interested in a variety of industries and have given a lot of thought to the type of company I want to work for when I graduate in the spring.

My goal is to do PR for a lifestyle brand or agency. Many lifestyle companies have a blog that focuses on all that the brand stands for and the other interests of its customers, aside from just the denim. One of my favorites is Levi's. Levi's uses this platform to communicate with its customers and incorporate the culture surrounding the brand.

I love the idea of doing PR for a clothing company whose brand focuses on much more than just the product. By focusing their image around the surrounding lifestyle of the product and the interests of their target audience, companies can involve themselves in a variety of different artistic industries, such as fashion, music, design, DIY projects, etc.

I have chosen to base this blog around branding and communicating in the action sports industry. Most action sports brands directly reflect the type of company that I want to work for. Their success began by making clothing, but they have evolved into much more than that. They sponsor athletes, produce films, put on events and much more. Because of their involvement in many different industries, these companies have a variety of different ways to keep up a positive PR image.

My personal life reflects the reason companies like this are so interesting to me. I love live music, I'm interested in fashion, I keep up with the latest trends, I stay up to date with popular culture, and I love outdoor sports.

It's easy for me to involve myself in these different attractions, but I am constantly changing my mind on which one I like the most. Similarly, it fascinates me how a brand can be so eclectic, stick its nose in a variety of different industries, and cohesively communicate these ideas across a wide spectrum.

Over the next seven weeks, I will be discussing how action sports companies communicate ideas with their audiences through blogs, media coverage, PR campaigns, success stories and crises. Keep up with my blog to learn all about how they do what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment