Sunday, January 25, 2015

Would you buy Chanel cupcakes?


It is remarkable how attractive a product can look with a certain logo stamped on it. I wouldn’t classify myself as a materialistic consumer, however, after reading this article about a project done by Israeli artist, Peddy Mergui, I have really noticed how attractive a logo can be. When looking through the photos, I caught myself saying things like, “Tiffany’s yogurt, that’s so cute!” As embarrassing as it is, as a consumer, I think I would definitely buy Prada flour or Apple iMilk. I wouldn’t do this because of the label so much as because of the packaging.

The luxury food market has seemed to have much of its success because the packaging is visually appealing. For instance, blk. water, a jet-black drink loaded with vitamins and electrolytes, is sold in a simple bottle with a modern and trendy logo. Similarly, the popular boxed water prides itself on being environmentally friendly, and has simple and attractive packaging.

By using the colors and typical style of the chosen brand, Mergui makes the products for his art project much more visually appealing than whatever we typically see on the shelves. This is what creates the market for these seemingly ridiculous products. Even though the quality may not be as good, there are a lot of people who would buy these things anyway (for instance, myself).

I find myself choosing body wash at Target based off of the packaging, even though it is my experience that the cute packages definitely do not have the soap inside. But when the attractive packaging is coupled with a quality product, what’s not to love? If brands were to promote luxury foods, as shown in Mergui’s project, and the foods actually tasted good, it would be a huge success.

While these things all seem ridiculous, these companies are creating positive PR. Branching out into other industries and making the brand reflect the surrounding lifestyle of their consumers is how companies can get people’s attention and expand their audience. By making luxury foods, designer brands would doing just that: branching out into a different industry and catching the consumer's eye in a different way. 


Personally, I have tried blk. water, I obsess over Veuve Clicquot’s fabulous Instagrams of skis, shoes and trucks with the their logo, and I know that I would buy Apple iMilk if it was actually sold in stores. I think there is absolutely a market for luxury food promotion, it is a smart PR tactic that companies should adopt.

No comments:

Post a Comment